Friday, May 11, 2012



As founding member of Groove Junkies, Evan Landes has launched numerous assaults on global dance charts and inspired a legion of loyal fans throughout the dance community since 1995. Having had previous releases on Virgin, Champion UK, and various Indie Dance labels throughout the world, he launched his own Morehouse Records (MoHo) imprint in 2002. He’s gone from strength to strength with each release, gaining support from industry legends such as Frankie Knuckles, Louie Vega, David Morales, Roger Sanchez, Ben Watt, Joey Negro and Tony Humphries to name a few.

Additionally, he has contributed to the output of iconic labels like Island/Def Jam, A&M, Warner Bros., J Records, Interscope, Ultra, Defected, Definity, Om Records, Soulfuric, Mn2S, Buzzin’ Fly and LAY Records. Groove Junkies mixed compilations such as House Of Om & Om Summer Sessions, Bargrooves ‘Mimosa,’ and LA Afterdark on Kinkysweet still rank as some of the best selling comps in their respective series. Nominations for ‘Breakthrough Producer’ at London’s House Music Awards in 2005, and ‘Breakthrough DJ’ at the Ibiza DJ Awards in 2006 have also offered well deserved recognition of Evan’s exceptional ability.

With the brand new release "Born to Flow"dropping today and MoHo’s 10 Year Anniversary looming, we had to have a talk with Evan and find out what its like to be a 'Junkie'.



Stompy - Groove Junkies used to be a collaboration with Parrish Wintersmith. What was the main reason for Parrish's departure and to continue the Groove Junkies as your solo output?


Groove Junkies - I founded Groove Junkies in 1997 with 2 former partners when we had a deal with Virgin Underground. Although Parrish and I spent 7 ½ years together shortly after I started my label MoreHouse Records with my wife in June of 2002, it seemed illogical to abandon the production name I co-founded and ultimately trademarked. As for why we parted ways – it was simply time for a change. We collaborated on a lot of great tunes, remixes, compilations and racked up a lot of frequent flyer miles traveling to various continents while playing at some of the hottest clubs and festivals throughout the world. It was by industry standards a fantastic and highly successful run, but all good things come to an end. We wish him well and are grateful for all he did while he was here in our camp.  


 

Stompy - What are some of the benefits of working solo, and what do you miss most about the partnership?


Groove Junkies - Creating by committee can be a challenging endeavor. That said, when two people are on the same page creatively speaking it’s a beautiful thing. We knew precisely what are strengths and weaknesses were and in areas where we were both weak we surrounded ourselves with talented people who could take our shit to the next level. We’d fight and argue like an old married couple, but at the end of the day we respected each other and put our egos in check. Ultimately, we achieved very good results most of the time. Now the dynamics are completely different. I still collaborate with singers who I co-write with and musicians who come in to play on various projects. In the end though, I have final say on all productions. I have no one to fight with except myself and occasionally my wife, who has never been one to keep her opinion in check :-).   


 
 

Stompy - What was your initial inspiration to pursue a career as a musician and producer?


Groove Junkies - Growing up in New York exposed me to a wealth of various styles of music. Everything from Rock to Soul to Latin to Jazz and so on. Simply put, I was a music ‘junkie’ (subconsciously this is probably why I came up with my professional name). I was always intrigued by the process of creating music, as well as presenting it to an audience. Aside from DJing I write, produce, arrange and engineer. I started DJing 33 years ago, writing about 20 years ago and seriously producing around 15 years ago. And for the record I don’t consider myself a musician. I tinker around on the keys and usually come up with the foundation of a music bed, but in the end (unless I’m trying to keep something very basic) I always bring in a few of my hired guns. To sum it all up, my career has been a never ending learning process and a journey that I’m very thankful to have experienced.


 

Stompy - What's your most valued possession in your studio?


Groove Junkies - My ears and brain :-)


 
 

Stompy - How have your tastes evolved since your early career?


Groove Junkies - You have to keep an open mind as things consistently change. That said, I always tend to lean towards any genre, song, or track that incorporates a little bit of soul. And my definition of soul by the way isn’t necessarily a big Gospel sounding artist, but more so someone who sings or produces music that emanates from their soul and allows us to take a peek inside. I’m also a sucker for a well written song.


 
 

Stompy - Your Morehouse label celebrates 10 years with a new single coming with Baskerville Jones. Can you tell us about how you discovered this talent and signed her to the label?


Groove Junkies - Technically our 10 Year Anniv. starts in June and will follow with a series of releases, compilations and tour dates. As for discovering Baskerville - we met at a Jazz spot here in Los Angeles. Sheila Ford from The MuthaFunkaz was out here in late 2011and did a guest spot with guitarist Shea Welsh (also from Baltimore) & Friends. My wife and I came out to support and ultimately met Baskerville who is a regular featured singer with Shea and his collective. Baskerville is also a member of a popular LA based R & B / Soul band called The Rebirth. “Born To Flow” was the first of what will hopefully be many collaborations I’ll do with her and so far the reactions have been tremendous. There’s been a ‘who’s who’ list of tastemaker support and the song seems to be resonating with both DJs and fans alike. She’s a very talented artist and we’re blessed to have had the opportunity to work with her.

  
 
 

Stompy - What's been the best advice you've received?


Groove Junkies - Work hard and work smart!”


 
 

Stompy - - What are your goals for 2012?


Groove Junkies - Work hard and work smart :-).


 

Stompy - How and where can people get a hold of you?


Groove Junkies - For any booking or licensing inquiries they can contact us at mhr@morehouserecords.com. For general information they can visit our website – www.morehouserecords.com and can follow us on http://facebook.com/groovejunkies, twitter.com/#!/mohorecords, http://soundcloud.com/morehouserecords and http://youtube.com/morehouserecords.

And last but not least they can download my FREE iPhone APP here - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/groove-junkies-by-mix-dj/id409126310?mt=8


 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment