Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tevo Howard Q&A



Even though Tevo Howard has been producing, engineering and composing music for years, he has seen a meteoric rise the past year and a half. In 2011, his prolific work has been heard on a diverse set of labels: Rush Hour, Permanent Vacation, NRK, and Hello Repeat. He also launched his own imprint Tevo Howard Recordings, and the output has varied from techno, to raw deep house, to moody landscapes, and chill downtempo and disco.

We chatted with Tevo for an in-depth interview about everything from his Chicago roots, his production style, and skateboarding. Be sure to check out his brand new release "At All Pursuits" while you get to know him a little better.

Stompy - You grew up in Chicago with daily trips to the legendary Gramophone and Wax Trax record stores. What records were you buying at the time to build your crate collection?

Tevo - I first bought newave, all the classics of the time, New Order, Depeche Mode, Erasure and The Cure were my staples, while I had my favorite being Vicious Pink. Loved Vicious Pink's sound back then, so I bought everything I could find by them. Till this day, I think they are ahead of their time in what the world considers to be 'pop' music. Anyhow, it wasn't until a bit later that I started to buy house music, aside from the 10 crates I inherited from my brother. During my time then, and in my neighborhood, newave was in fashion, which left all of the 'top 40' popular music of the time to only be listened to outside of the circles I was brought up in. If you liked what was on the billboard charts back then you would be ostracized during that time in my neighborhood. I do mean that the world famous Wax Trax and Gramaphone were walking distance from my childhood home. All and all, Chicago being as rough as it was back then, I was lucky to have these sorts of outlets. 


Stompy - After pursuing a masters degree in Law and Writing-which arguably can offer a bit more security than the music industry--what was the defining moment that made you change courses in your life to pursue music full time?

Tevo - I got to a point where I just couldn't pretend anymore. Although I never finished that law degree, I am happy to wake up in the mornings. People on Granville (my current neighborhood in Chicago) often tell me that they're doing great when they have a day off. My reply is that I would have nothing to do if I had a day off. 

Stompy - What were the initial steps you took to start Beautiful Granville Studios, and what was your main goal?

Tevo - Biker Jose, a friend of mine who does bmx style bicycling, gave me a tiny midi cotntroller. When I set out to create the studio, the first thing on my list was to get a larger midi controller. All of the other pieces I first bought were based on need to finish projects, of course I bought Apple's Logic Pro early on. My drive, nonetheless, stemmed in what people on Granville would tell me they did or didn't like. Subsequently, I started releasing the best of what they suggested to the world. With much respect to Kevin Starke over at Kstarke records in Chicago (1109 N. Western), I threw the party for My first record right there in the shop. The odd part was that only 50 of that first pressing of BGR 001 went for sale to the world, but some of that 50 made it as far as Japan. And it all began. 



Stompy - Now that Granville has shut its doors, what is your current studio set up like?

Tevo - As Tevo Howard Recordings is to be a larger platform label, I have retained all of the same workplace and environment. The only thing that may have changed is the actual sound quality as I get better at the skill of crafting sound. As well, Tevo Howard Recordings is meant to be a medium for the specific type of sound production that I do as an artist, although I do plan many artists to be released under this platform. 


Stompy - Analog machines as opposed to digital software seem to be your preference when making music. Are there any pieces of gear on your wish list that you still need to get your hands on?

Tevo - I do follow both jazz theoretical phrases: if it sounds good, it is good; and straight ahead theory. It is my belief that some of the best artists in the world have recorded on improper or less than average equipment... It's not so much what a musician uses, but more how they use it, and wether it does sound good or not. 


Stompy - You are well versed in a variety of different styles. Where does the inspiration for so many styles come from?

Tevo - This is representative of a long standing love of music as a medium as well as being a developed listener. Over the years I've thoroughly enjoyed music in most of it's representations, which would include the time I spent playing bass with the orchestra in early college. Back then, I loved being in a room for practice with 100 other instrumentalists, as well on stage. 


Stompy - Well versed in all the different styles, do you have an idea of what type of music you want to make when entering the studio?

Tevo - I have gone into the studio with a full song in my head to make into actual sound, and I have gone on to the studio with just a mood in mind that I wish a track to have. It does depend on the day and my motives. But, most of my ep and album projects are created per project, without much intermingling. In other words, I only work on one project at a time. Nonetheless, many of my projects have all titles to the songs before I enter the studio. 


Stompy - The Black Electro Orchestra project is one you've been spending more time on. What is the mission statement and inspiration behind it?

Tevo - The Black Electro Orchestra is Tevo Howard's Orchestra. The orchestra is meant to be addressed by full orchestration with 100 instrumentalists. I hope to see the fruition of it one day. 

Stompy - With over 100 instrumentalists for the Black Electro Orchestra, how do you prepare for a performance of that magnitude? 

Tevo - As the great composers composed most of their work on only one piano, I see not much difference between that and composing on a Nord Lead (synth keyboard), or reassigning a bassline machine to play True Faith by New Order. Easily, one could assign the tonal voices of these tracks to the sections of a full piece orchestra.  It's just  that these compositions are made to be replayed and elaborated on, as I welcome other artist to orchestrate these compositions. I would be enthralled by that, especially with 100 instrumentalists. 


Stompy - You used to be a skateboarder before injuring your knee. What was your signature trick you used to bust?

Tevo - Ollie Backside nosebones over stairs. I could always get that one to lay down when I was a kid. Nowadays I like to go as fast as I can and do bonelesses and power slides--- I take it easy, but try to keep my style in fashion. 


Stompy - What's your New Years' Resolution for 2012?

Tevo - Work with more collaborators. 

No comments:

Post a Comment